Welcome to Emory Church, On the Square in New Oxford!
Emory Church is working with God in building a caring community that connects, discovers and serves together!
John Wesley is quoted as saying, “The world is my parish”. With Emory Church being right on the Square in New Oxford, we are blessed to have New Oxford as our parking lot. When you visit us please feel free to park anywhere around the square and the town. We do reserve space directly in front of Emory for visitors and those who might need to have closer access to us.
Sunday school is held at 9:00 a.m. for all ages with Worship at 10:00 a.m.
From this Past Sunday
Sunday, August 18, 2019
Sermon:Habakkuk: A Banned Book
Our Scripture focus was Habakkuk 1-2
Our takeaways were to:
- Read Week 34 of Coast to Coast readings.
- CONNECT with the emotionally raw prayers of the prophet Habakkuk.
- DISCOVER God’s promise of deliverance from injustice.
- SERVE victims of injustice with the compassion of God.
- Pray: God help me to rely on you so that I can rejoice in you at all times.
“Habakkuk reminds believers centuries later how important it is to keep on believing in a God that will bring deliverance. This unflinching belief in God’s ability to make an end to violence is precisely the reason why the book Habakkuk was banned in Nazi Germany -- the idea that God will end unjust power was considered too dangerous to be tolerated.” Juliana Claassens Professor of Old Testament at University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Our theme verse is Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
|Please remember those that are home bound in prayer
- Coast 2 Coast Bible Study Wednesdays @ 2:30pm (CKV) & 7pm (Emory). Please make one of these mid-week studies part of your routine.
- Roots Youth Group meets every Wednesday @ 6:30pm. August Schedule 7th - Answers
14th - Night of Worship
21st - Starting Back
28th - Movie
If you know someone in grades 6-12th please encourage them to come! See Keith Mitzel for more details.
- Important Youth Leader meeting on TODAY August 18th after Worship Service.
- Leadership Council will meet August 19 at 6:30pm. Everyone is welcome to attend!
- You are invited! To an Open House Cookout hosted by Pastor Erin at 70 Fern Drive New Oxford (parsonage). August 25th from 12:00 (noon) to 3pm. Please bring a chair. RSVP on the Connection Card or in the foyer.
- The Worship Committee will be meeting September 5th @ 6:30pm.
- Please note *There will be NO Coast 2 Coast Bible Study on Wednesday August 28th at 7pm. The preschool will be holding it’s orientation.
- Don’t forget to save and bring in your stamps and can tabs to benefit Crosskeys Village in New Oxford. There are containers to put these in on the table by the mailboxes!